Success in university is easiest when you know where to turn for help. As an Arts student, you have a dedicated team of professionals who are happy to support you along your journey.
We Can Help With
- Medical and Emotional Difficulties
- Degree Requirements
- Course Planning
- Transfer Credits
- Graduation Check
Before Contacting Arts Advising
We expect you to do a little bit of research before contacting our office. Prior to speaking with an Advisor, students are highly recommended to:
- Look through the UBC Academic Calendar (the official rule book for UBC) and search the UBC Arts website.
- Attend an Advising workshop.
- Review your Degree Navigator report.
The answers to the majority of your questions are found in these places.
Newly admitted students are also required to fill in the First-Year Planning Tool before their appointment.
How to Contact Us
Arts Academic Advising Office
Our front counter and phone staff can answer many of your general questions.
Hours: Monday – Friday, 9:00 am to 4:00 pm. Closed weekends and statutory holidays.
Location: Buchanan D111, 1866 Main Mall
Phone: 604.822.4028 | Fax: 604.822.4923
Please include your student number.
Domestic Students – firstname.lastname@example.org
International Students – email@example.com
Aboriginal Students – firstname.lastname@example.org
Note: During peak periods responses may take several days.
Drop-in Advising *New Virtual Line
Available Monday – Friday, 1:00 pm to 4:00 pm.
Extended Hours: First two weeks of September and January (add/drop period), 10:00 am to 4:00 pm.
Aug 28 – Sep 1: The virtual line opens at 12:45pm. Sep 5 – 19: The virtual line opens at 9:45am.
Rather than standing in line, you now join the queue from your phone or at the kiosk at the Arts Advising entrance. Text “UBC” to 604-229-4098 and follow the prompts. An approximate wait time will be given. The virtual line opens 15 min before drop-in hours and closes then the day’s appointment capacity is reached.
Distance Advising via Skype *New
Available August 28 to September 1, 2017, 1:00 pm to 3:00 pm, Monday – Friday on a first to sign-in, first-served basis. Space is limited. Click here for full details.
Advising Workshops & Events
Chart Your Degree Workshop *New
September 5 to 15, 2017 | Offered 3x daily, Monday to Friday
Interactive and tailored to the participants, this workshop covers:
- Course planning to satisfy your degree requirements
- Understanding and interpreting Degree Navigator
- Am I on track to graduate?
- Resources for Academic Success
We recommend that you bring your laptop so that you can follow along online. The sessions are limited to 15-20 students. Sign-up now!
Quick Question? Ask Arts Advising on Facebook. Our Arts Peer Advisors visit our Facebook page daily (Mon-Fri) to answer your advising-related questions in visitor posts. Please do not post personal information.
Department & Program Advising Contacts
All Arts students have access to Arts Academic Advising. In addition:
- Bachelor of Arts (BA) and Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA) students have access to specialization-specific department advisors. Check your department or program website for contact details.
- Bachelor of International Economics (BIE), Bachelor of Media Studies (BMS), Bachelor of Music (BMus), and Bachelor of Social Work (BSW) students have access to degree program advisors.
Questions about non-degree related questions, such as transcripts, student loans and financial support? Contact your Enrolment Services Professional (ESP).
Are you a prospective student? Visit the UBC admissions website.