Dropping or withdrawing from a course

You should drop or withdraw from a course as soon as you identify you don’t want to take it, or can’t continue with it. Dropping early will help you meet deadlines and make space available so  another student can register for the course.

Course change deadlines

View course change (add/drop) deadlines

Drop deadlines allow you to drop a course without financial penalty or any notation on your transcript.  After the drop deadline, you may withdraw up to the withdrawal deadline. You’ll have to pay for at least part of the course, and will see a ‘W’ on your transcript.

View UBC refund fees


If you are required to maintain a minimum course load due to funding, housing, varsity sports or other circumstances, make sure you are aware of how many credits you must be registered in before you withdraw from a course. Speak with your Enrolment Services Professional about any potential financial implications of dropping or withdrawing from a course.

As drop/withdrawal deadlines approach, assess your ability to meet your obligations. If you feel overwhelmed, it may be wise to adjust your course load or access your academic support options.

What does a “W” mean academically?

A withdrawal does not detract from your academic record, but does result in a “W” standing. A ‘W’ on your transcript indicates that you have attempted a course and have chosen to withdraw from it within university guidelines. A ‘W’ is not calculated into your overall GPA or continuation evaluation.

If you are concerned about the impact of a “W” on your academic history and are applying to other schools or graduate programs, you should contact the respective organization for information on how they might regard a ‘W’ on a transcript.

UBC faculties, graduate, and professional programs state that a “W” on a student’s record conveys no useful admissions-related information. These programs are interested in the courses you’ve actually completed and the grades earned.

What if I missed the withdrawal deadline?

You are not permitted to withdraw from a course after the withdrawal deadline unless you qualify for academic concession. If you’ve experienced unanticipated events or circumstances that interfere with your ability to accomplish your academic coursework contact Arts Academic Advising as soon as possible, and prior to the deadline to submit academic concession requests

If you remain registered in the course past the withdrawal deadline, and do not qualify for academic concession, you have committed to completing the course.