Disagreement with a professor

As with many disagreements that arise between individuals, it’s best to approach your professor to discuss your problem. Visit your professor during his or her office hours or arrange for an appointment.

Do your best to explain how you see the problem clearly and concisely. Listen to your professor’s perspective, and make an attempt to resolve the problem.

If you’re unable to reach a resolution, make an appointment with the head of the department.

If you have followed both these steps and still haven’t reached a resolution, contact Arts Academic Advising or The Office of the Ombudsperson for Students.

At any point throughout this process students may contact The Office of the Ombudsperson for Students, an independent, impartial and confidential resource for students at UBC Vancouver.

If the disagreement is regarding a grade you may apply for a Review of Assigned Standing, see Review a course grade.