Life at UBC



Facebook “Like” the Aboriginal Student Affairs UBC page to keep up with deadlines, events, scholarships and much more!

UBC Student Housing

First-year students are provided guaranteed housing and residency at UBC. Additionally, Aboriginal students are given priority assignment for rooms in residence.

In collaboration with the First Nations House of Learning,

If you received a room in UBC student residence and are being sponsored for a living allowance, it is possible to have your sponsor invoiced for the costs. Contact ASA if you have any questions regarding this process.

Other Housing Options

Meal Plan

Student Housing & Hospitality Services also coordinates meal plans for students in residence. Having help with preparing your meals can help to significantly reduce the stresses of attending university. It is possible for your sponsor to pay for your meal plan but they must make arrangements to do so. Take a look at the UBC Meal Plan webpage to decide which plan is best for you:

For more information on living in residence, visit, or contact


UBC offers scholarships and awards specifically for Aboriginal students. Be sure to explore these awards as there is sure to be one that fits your specific needs. The Aboriginal Awards application is available in March and is due during the summer. For the most updated application and deadline details, please refer to the Awards website:

Contact your ESP for more information regarding funding options, including student loans, bursaries, and awards. Visit for more details.

Tuition and Textbook Sponsorship


Band Sponsorship is a process between UBC’s Enrolment Services and your sponsoring organization (i.e. by your band, Nation or Métis Council). You will need to authorize third-party billing sponsorship between the University and your band sponsor. It is important to make sure your application is filled out and submitted on time because any delay could jeopardize your funding.

For more information, please visit:

If you have any questions about this process, please contact:

Sponsorship Billing
Enrolment Services
1874 East Mall
Vancouver, BC, V6T 1Z1
Fax: 604.822.9858


It is possible for your sponsor to be invoiced for your textbook costs. When purchasing books at the UBC Bookstore, state your sponsorship and request Douglas Shimizu if needed:

Douglas Shimizu
Textbook Sponsorship
UBC Bookstore
215A – 6200 University Blvd
Tel: 604-822-6565
Fax: 604-822-8592

If you’re having troubles purchasing your books through band sponsorship from the UBC Bookstore, contact ASA for support.

Health Insurance for Aboriginal Students

All UBC students are automatically enrolled in the AMS/GSS Health and Dental Plan, these fees are rolled into the annual student fees. If you are status First Nation and already have your medical and dental care covered through your band, please know you must opt-out of AMS/GSS Health and Dental Plan in order to not be charged for this service. Students must opt-out by the deadline otherwise they may be individually responsible for these costs.  The deadlines to opt-out are: September 6-27, 2016 for Term 1, and for new students starting in Term 2, the deadline is January 4-25, 2017.

* Please note: If you have a Status card, it is recommended that you bring it with you when you are accessing health or medical services, in addition to the health card from your home province or territory.

How to Opt Out:

For more information and UBC Student Health Services contact details, visit

Job Opportunities

Working part time while studying at UBC can be a great way to earn extra money, gain professional work experience and meet new people. There are a variety of programs that you can access at UBC to facilitate this experience! Work Learn, Co-Op and Undergraduate research are all great ways to get involved.

For tips on how to write a good resume, prepare for interviews, and other insights, visit UBC’s Build My Career page:

Once you’re ready to apply, check out the following websites: