The Literature Requirement is met by successful completion of 6 credits in literature in the Faculty of Arts.
You don’t have to limit yourself to studying English literature. The list below shows courses that count towards meeting the Literature Requirement. Most of these are taught in English.
Note: All incoming students who wish to take any CHIN-, JAPN-, KORN-, PERS- or PUNJ- subject-coded literature course are required to complete a placement test with the Department of Asian Studies to obtain placement approval for registration. Students without this approval should deregister before the first withdrawal deadline. Please refer to the Department of Asian Studies website for testing information.
Courses that fulfill the Literature Requirement (from UBC Calendar)
Updates (newly approved / yet to be updated in UBC Calendar)
– Chinese (CHIN) course equivalencies, 16W: 411 = 451; 413 = 453; 421 = 455; 431 = 491; 433 = 493; 434 = 494
– Japanese (JAPN) course equivalencies, 16W: 311 = 422; 312 = 423; 406 = 452; 408 = 453; NOTE: JAPN 401 and 402 do not qualify as Literature.
– Sanskrit (SANS) course equivalency, 16W: 300 (taught prior to 16W) = 450; NOTE: SANS 300 taught in 16W does not qualify as Literature.
– Asian Studies (ASIA) 254 taught in 16W may be used towards the Literature Requirement.
– First Nations and Indigenous Studies (FNIS) 401F taught in 16W may be used towards the Literature Requirement.
– Punjabi (PUNJ) 403 and 404 may be used towards the Literature Requirement.
– Asian Studies (ASIA) 325 does not qualify as a Literature course.
– Chinese (CHIN) 2nd transfer credit preclusions for CHIN 431 and 433 do not count towards the Literature Requirement.
– Students may receive credit for only one of ITST 345 or RMST 222.
– Spanish (SPAN) 322 may be used towards the Literature Requirement if taken via the UBC-Chile Summer Study Abroad Program