You are encouraged to fulfill this requirement within your first 60 credits.
To fulfill the Language Requirement, you must complete ONE of the following:
- You may satisfy the language requirement in any of the languages below by proving the appropriate competency through examination. Arrangements must be made through the department providing instruction in the language.
- If you are fluent in a language not listed below (that is, a language not taught at UBC), you may still be able to meet the Language Requirement through a challenge examination. Contact Arts Academic Advising to arrange for testing.
- No course credit will be awarded for completing the Language Requirement through a competency exam.
- All of these courses have prerequisites so we strongly advise that you begin this requirement in your first year.
- Some courses listed may not be offered every session. Check the course schedule for offerings.
- If you have some background in the language you wish to study, contact the department for a placement test.
- If you are registering in an Asian language course, you may need to attend a placement test.
Courses that fulfill the Language Requirement (from UBC Calendar)
Updates (newly approved / yet to be updated in Calendar)
– CHIN 117 = CHIN 243 (heritage)
– CHIN 118 = CHIN 244 (heritage)
– CHIN 107 = CHIN 233 (non-heritage)
– CHIN 108 = CHIN 234 (non-heritage)
– ITAL 206
– JAPN 103 = JAPN 201
– JAPN 151 = JAPN 260
– SANS 200 = SANS 400
– SANS 201 = SANS 401
FAQ – Language Requirement
How many language credits do I need?
Anywhere from 0 to 12 credits of one language other than English, depending on your knowledge of that language. For example, if you’ve completed Grade 11 French, you’ll complete French 111 then French 112. You’ll therefore complete the language requirement within 6 credits.
If you don’t speak another language, you’ll most likely need to complete 12 credits of language.
If you’re not sure which course to take based on your knowledge of a language, contact the department for a placement test.