Success in university is easiest when you know where to turn for help. As an Arts student, you have a dedicated team of professionals who are happy to support you along your journey.
Before Contacting Arts Advising
We expect you to do a little bit of research before contacting our office. Prior to speaking with an advisor, students are highly recommended to:
- Look through the UBC Academic Calendar (the official rule book for UBC) and search the UBC Arts website.
- Attend an Advising workshop.
- Review your Degree Navigator report.
The answers to the majority of your questions are found in these places.
Newly admitted students are also required to fill in the First-Year Planning Tool before their appointment.
Common Help Topics
Medical and Emotional Difficulties | Course Planning | Degree Requirements | Course Registration and Blocks | Getting into Full Courses | Declaring a Major | Transfer Credits | Degree Navigator Reports
Forms, Applications, and Permission Letters
How to Contact Us
Arts Academic Advising Office
Our front counter and phone staff can answer many of your general questions.
Hours: Monday – Friday, 9:00 am to 4:00 pm. Closed weekends and statutory holidays.
Location: Buchanan D111, 1866 Main Mall
Phone: 604.822.4028 | Fax: 604.822.4923
- Monday, October 9 (UBC closed for Thanksgiving)
- Monday, October 23
- Tuesday, October 24
- Monday, November 13 (UBC closed in lieu of Remembrance Day)
- Wednesday, November 15
- Tuesday, December 12 Advising will be closed from 11:30 to 2:30. Drop-in advising will resume at 2:30 until 4pm.
- December holiday hours will be posted shortly.
Please include your student number.
Domestic Students – email@example.com
International Students – firstname.lastname@example.org
Aboriginal Students – email@example.com
Note: During peak periods responses may take several days.
Drop-in Advising *New Virtual Line
Monday – Friday | 1:00 pm – 4:00 pm
Extended Hours: First two weeks of September and January (add/drop period), 10:00 am – 4:00 pm.
Rather than standing in line, you now join the queue from your phone or at the kiosk at the Arts Advising entrance. Text “UBC” to 604-229-4098 and follow the prompts. An approximate wait time will be given. The virtual line opens 15 min before drop-in hours and closes when the day’s appointment capacity is reached. Until Sep 1: The virtual line opens at 12:45pm. Sep 5 – 19: The virtual line opens at 9:45am.
Distance Advising via Skype
Available for a limited time |August 28 – September 1, 2017 | 1:00 pm – 3:00 pm
Distance Advising is offered on a first to sign-in, first-served basis, and priority will be given to students who reside outside of Metro Vancouver.
Click here for full details.
Advising Workshops & Events
Check Back for Updates
Quick Question? Ask Arts Advising on Facebook. Our Arts Peer Advisors visit our Facebook page daily (Mon-Fri) to answer your advising-related questions in visitor posts. Please do not post personal information.
Department & Program Advising Contacts
All Arts students have access to Arts Academic Advising. In addition:
- Bachelor of Arts (BA) and Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA) students have access to specialization-specific department advisors. Check your department or program website for contact details.
- Bachelor of International Economics (BIE), Bachelor of Media Studies (BMS), Bachelor of Music (BMus), and Bachelor of Social Work (BSW) students have access to degree program advisors.
Questions about non-degree related questions, such as transcripts, student loans and financial support? Contact your Enrolment Services Professional (ESP).
Are you a prospective student? Visit the UBC admissions website.