Our office assists Arts students throughout their degree: from helping you understand your degree requirements and responsibilities, to connecting you to appropriate support resources, to approving your application for graduation. Information for prospective students can be found on the UBC admissions website.
Monday – Friday 9:00 am to 4:00 pm
Closed weekends and statutory holidays
Our front counter and phone staff (604.822.4028) can answer many of your general questions.
Available from 1pm to 4pm, Monday through Friday.
*NEW Pilot Program* Rather than standing in line, you can now join the queue from your phone or at the kiosk at the Arts Advising entrance. Join the Virtual Line from 12:45pm to 3:45pm! Text “UBC” to 604-229-4098 and follow the prompts. An approximate wait time will be given. Please Note: The Virtual Line will close when the day’s appointment capacity has been reached.
*NEW Pilot Program* Virtual advising appointments are now available via Skype, Monday to Friday from 1-4pm. Space is limited. Book your appointment by phone 604.822.4028.
Distance Advising Services:
- Academic course planning
- Major and minor exploration
Address, Email, Phone + Fax
Arts Academic Advising
The University of British Columbia
Buchanan D111, 1866 Main Mall
Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z1
We are located near Meekison Arts Students’ Space
During peak periods we endeavour to respond to email and phone messages within 3 to 5 business days.
Current UBC Arts Students
Please include your student number.
Prospective UBC Arts Students
Ask the Enrolment Service Professionals admissions-related questions here.
Contact Enrolment Services at 604.822.3014 or toll-free (Canada and the US) at 1.877.272.1422.
Prospective international students, please contact:
International Student Initiative
Brock Hall, Welcome Centre
1874 East Mall, Room 1200
Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z1
Visit in person Monday to Friday 9:30 am – 4:00 pm (PT)
Tel 604.822.8999 Toll-free (Canada and the US) 1.877.272.1422
Still not sure who you should contact? Click here.
How to prepare for your visit
Some ways that you can prepare for your appointment:
- New students visiting Arts for the first time are required to complete the First-Year Planning Tool.
- Review this website: Doing some research may answer some of your questions and it may help you to come up with some new ones. Doing your research first will allow you to get the most out of your time with an advisor.
- Review your Degree Navigator report: Degree Navigator is a helpful tool, but can be a bit difficult to read. The staff in Arts Academic Advising can help with understanding your report.
If you have a booked appointment and are unable to make it, please call 604.822.4028 to let us know.
What You Can Expect from Us
You are entitled to:
- our individual attention
- accurate knowledge of Arts’ degree requirements
- answers to your questions
- referral to appropriate services
- assistance with understanding how to use tools like Degree Navigator, UBC websites, and the academic calendar
What we ask of you:
- prepare for your appointments
- follow up on referrals we’ve provided you
- attend and participate in class
- contact us immediately if you suffer from a condition that is negatively affecting your academic success
- be patient and do not send your request for information to several different administrators and advisors. We will respond to your requests as soon as we find the information
- take advantage of UBC student services and resources, including student clubs and events