Your academic record is reviewed every May to determine your year level.
- Advancement to second year requires 27 completed credits.
- Advancement to third year requires 54 completed credits.
- Advancement to fourth year requires 84 completed credits.
Note: The Writing Component of the Writing and Research Requirement must be complete by the time you reach third year standing or your registration will be blocked. Alternately, if you transferred to Arts in your third year, you must complete the Writing Component by the end of your first Winter Session. See the Writing and Research FAQs for more information.
You need a 55% average in each Winter Session (September to April) to remain in good standing in the Faculty of Arts.
- If your Winter Session average falls below 55% you will either be placed on Academic Probation or, if you already have a standing of Academic Probation on your record in a previous Winter Session in Arts, assigned Failed Year standing and required to withdraw from your studies.
- If your Winter Session average falls below 45% you will be required to withdraw for at least one academic year and to apply for readmission.
If you are placed on Academic Probation
Once placed on academic probation, you must keep your Winter Session (September to April) average above 55% for the remainder of your degree. If your average falls below 55% again during any Winter Session, you’ll be required to withdraw for at least one academic year and to apply for readmission.
If you receive Failed Year standing
If you are placed on Academic Probation in more than one Winter Session, or if your Winter Session average falls below 45%, you are required to withdraw from your studies for at least one academic year. Please read Readmission after a failed year to help you formulate a plan for return.
There are many free UBC resources designed to help you improve your grades and support you through life’s challenges.